Sunday, 27 September 2015

Mixed media

I had another wonderful crafting day yesterday, back at the Heritage Centre on Carnforth Railway station (setting for that great classic British film, Brief Encounter).
In the morning, three crafters were doing demos, a mixture of mixed media, fabric painting and die cutting. In the afternoon, there were 'make and take' sessions and of course I headed for the mixed media one, being run by one of my favourite crafters, Lindsay Mason. Lots of ink and paint and gilding wax involved, guaranteeing mucky fingers! :-)
Who would believe that you could create such beautiful things with cardboard, scrunched up paper, black gesso, die cut  embellishments, paints and wax. I'm hooked! :-)

Firstly, a square of stiff cardboard, plus 2 embellishments - plus a sheet from an old book ......


I scrunched up the page, and then stuck it down to the square, tucking in the edges

T
The white bits are embossed paper, to give the surface texture, and the black bits (which don't show up well on the photo) are gesso, applied through a stencil.  Then, everything was painted black! All will become clear.....


At this point I've applied some lustrous paints to the background.....


- and finally I applied some gilding waxes.

I love the resulting textures, even down to brush strokes from when I applied the black gesso to the entire surface.

Yep, I'm hooked, and plan to make more!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is just amazing. And absolutely gorgeous!! That was a great day of learning and hand's on training. Always the best way to learn anything, IMO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you Sandra :-) It's always lovely to get such great feedback, thanks for always taking time to stop by and leave such lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I rather enjoy seeing your cards. It's something I've never done, and you do it so very well. :)

      Delete